MacuGuard® Ocular Support
MacuGuard® Ocular Support with Saffron & Astaxanthin
# 60 softgels
Favorite of people with macular degeneration (ARMD) – wet and dry- , this optimal Eye formulation offers complete support for eye health & night vision.
The nutrients our eyes need are often hard to come by, but it’s worth making sure we get enough of them to keep our eyes healthy over time. For instance: the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are the main components of your macular pigment, and help protect the eyes from the effects of excess blue and ultraviolet light.1-3
Lutein & Zeaxanthin: vital for healthy vision
That’s why this formula contains lutein and trans-zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin, as well as alpha-carotene, another eye health carotenoid that has been associated with protection of the macula and retina.4 Lutein and the two types of zeaxanthin are very well-known to help preserve the health of the macula and act as defenders against excessive oxidative stress. They help keep eyes functioning well, even over time.3,5,6
Astaxanthin: fight eye fatigue
Japanese scientists have clinically studied astaxanthin. They’ve demonstrated that 6 mg of astaxanthin supplementation daily helped promote visual sharpness and eye health.7
Phospholipids for carotenoids: optimal absorption
Getting these eye-healthy nutrients where you need them most is a huge part of supporting your vision health. This formula contains phospholipids, which are an integral part of every cell membrane in the body. This helps promote absorption of lutein and zeaxanthin. Good absorption is crucial for these nutrients to make it into the retina of the eye.3
Nutrition for night vision: C3G berry flavonoids
MacuGuard® Ocular Support with Saffron & Astaxanthin also contains an anthocyanin flavonoid extracted from European black currant berry. Cyanidin-3-glucoside encourages the regeneration of rhodopsin, a retinal compound that converts visible light to the electrical signals that reach the visual centers of the brain, especially in low-light conditions.8,9 Rhodopsin needs to be continually regenerated, but science believes that as we age this happens less and less.10 Cyanidin-3-glucoside may help older eyes see better at night.
Vision-enhancing benefits of saffron
This formula also includes saffron extract. Multiple clinical studies have shown that supplementation with 20 mg of saffron helps support vision and retinal function, as measured both by advanced technical testing and on the Snellen eye chart that is commonly used by doctors to test vision.11-13
- Higdon. Carotenoids. 06/18/2019. https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/phytochemicals/carotenoids
- Dev Ophthalmol. 2005;38:70-88.
- Nutrients. 2013;5(4):1169-85.
- JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015;133(12):1415-24.
- Molecules. 2017;22(4)
- Progress in retinal and eye research. 2016;50:34-66.
- Altern Med Rev. 2011;16(4):355-64.
- N. L. o. Medicine. RHO gene – rhodopsin. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/RHO
- Photochem Photobiol. 2009;85(2):463-70.
- Vision research. 2011;51(13):1610-1622.
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:429124.
- Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51(12):6118-24.
- J Transl Med. 2013;11:228.
LuteinPlus® and Mz® are registered trademarks of Nutriproducts Ltd., UK, licensed under U.S. Patent 8,623,428.
|Dosage and Use|
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
To report a serious adverse event or obtain product information, contact 1-866-280-2852.